NJ Council of the Blind - Scholarships
Home > NJCB Scholarships
NJCB SCHOLARSHIPS ANNOUNCEMENT
New Jersey Council of the Blind, Inc.
Lauren Casey, President
153 Franklin Corner Road
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
What are the scholarship awards?
- Depending on applicants, either two $500 scholarships or one $1,000 will be awarded
- First year NJCB membership
- Recognition in our Quarterly Newsletter and on our website
Who is eligible?
- Must be a resident of New Jersey
- Certified legally blind
- A full time college student, undergraduate or graduate, in the 2017 – 2018 academic year.
What is needed to apply?
- Complete a Scholarship application
- Obtain and submit a letter from your doctor to certify legal blindness
- Submit three reference letters from teachers, school counselors or other community advocate (no family members permitted)
- Scholastic record such as high school or college attended, rank in class, GPA, SAT or other scores
- Extracurricular activities and/or offices held volunteer or other service activities
Where and when is the application submitted?
- Send application and supporting documents to Lauren Casey, address above
- Please be sure to include all contact information such as telephone and email address. Interviews may be in person or by phone with members of NJCB scholarship committee or Executive Board
- May 1- Application and materials due
- May 31 – Interviews completed
- June 30 – notice of results to applicants
- July NJCB Quarterly meeting – in person award presentation to recipients and family members as guests for picnic and ceremony
What is required of scholarship winners?
Any meeting by prearrangement with recipients, they can present a brief oral report on what it has meant to have the scholarship, and/or some significant events / experiences since the awarding of the scholarships.
Word Documents to follow/complete to apply for a scholarship:
- NJCB Scholarship Cover Letter
- NJCB Scholarship Awards Application for School Year 2017 - 2018
- Certification of Blindness Letter
- New Jersey Council of the Blind Scholarship Program Letter of Reference